Blog Archive

Sunday, August 7, 2016

WEEK #4 CHUUK !!

Wow, where do I even start? This past week has literally been insane. I've almost died a few times so we can start with that I guess hah. So we landed in Guam last Tuesday late night and President Zarbock picked us up and we slept at his house. The next day we got our second mission call..... Sapuk, CHUUK!!! It's a dream come true. This place is insane. I've been serving in Guam though for the past week because our flight wasn't until last night, but i am in Chuuk now. First day. IT'S CRAZY. Nothing like anyone could imagine. It's so beautiful. Guam was nice though because it is kind of like Hawaii but not as nice, but very developed. We taught some people there that i was in love with haha. These people are way funny. In Chuuk, though, it's completely different here. No running water and not one island has electricity except for one and i got lucky and scored big on that one and have it sometimes!! But no AC, so it's hot as can be. My house is about the same size as my room at home, if that. I don't have pictures of it this week but i will next time. It's just one big room. We don't have beds either-- we just sleep on the tile floor every night which isn't too bad. I've already gotten used it it lol. 

So about my close calls. Last night we landed and were picked up at the airport. We were supposed to have our truck but somebody had slashed all the tires and smashed our windows out so we don't know what we are gonna do about that. There were about 16 missionaries for 1 very small truck so we were smashed in there with so much baggage.  Elder Gibson and I and a few other elders were all chillin' in the back and we all of the sudden heard the Zone leaders in the truck up front lean out and yell, "SOKOWW!!!" which is this insane alcohol that everyone drinks here that is super powerful and makes you insane. We looked up and there were about 50 men and women screaming like crazy all in the road and fighting each other which machetes and sticks and throwing rocks at each other. Everyone was screaming like crazy and we all had to duck and fly through this mob, but it's all good. Nobody got hurt. I hadn't even been in Chuuk for 5 minutes and this already happened hahaha! It was awesome, but don't worry Mom we are safe as missionaries and nothing will happen to us as long as we are smart. Here in Chuuk our curfew is 6 pm because stuff like this happens all the time, especially after dark, but we made it home safely:) 

Then this morning we went into "town" to get food at the legit shacks there. hah Everything is made out of wood. Wood huts, wood stores except there are a few with cement. All the people were gathered and we were trying to drive through them (driving is nuts here too) and there were a few guys up on the roof all on Sokow who were fighting like crazy. It was flippin' awesome, but we just made our way through. It's sad, though. PEOPLE NEED CHRIST AND THE WORD OF WISDOM agh.  I wish they would listen better here. It's a culture thing to never make promises or commitments because then they have to do it and everyone's lazy and afraid of change. 

Can't wait to meet all our investigators this week. We have a baptism this Sunday that was set up from before i got here! It's gonna be in the ocean so I'll get some sick pics of that. Ah I am studying like crazy here for the language but its so hard and i swear everyone mumbles so i cant make anything out, but i'll get it eventually hah.  i just want to be able to talk to everyone and share this gospel instead of sitting there the whole time. They speak English in Guam but they also speak a lot of Chuukese so most of our lessons were in Chuukese. But in Chuuk  nobody speaks English so it will force me to learn.

My mission President and wife are amazing.  I love them. He is strict on obedience but that's so good because it will lead us to success. My companion is Elder Gibson. He's from Marshall Islands and he's the sickest guy ever. I love him! We clicked from the start and have so much fun together. He speaks the language better than anyone so everyone is jealous i got him as my comp. Ahh I love my mission. The church is so true and people just need o humble themselves a little and find out for themselves. I love my mission-- this is so much work and i'm always exhausted but at the end of the day it is so worth every second. Thank you for all the prayers; they help so so much! I miss you all like crazy and hope everything back at home is going okay. I'm so happy here. I love this gospel. I love Chuuk!

-- 

Elder Saylin

No comments:

Post a Comment