Blog Archive

Monday, February 20, 2017

A letter from January 29, 2017

Dear Mom and Dad,

How are my mom and dad doing??  I know it's a no-brainer and unnecessary to say because you already know, but I miss you so much!!  It's been over six months and I'm still not used to having you around.  I probably never will be.  Can you believe it's been that long?  Does it feel like it's been that long?  Has it been fast or slow for you?  Sometimes I'm like, holy cow, it's already been 6 months and then other times I feel like I've lived here my whole life and was born and raised on Chuuk.  It's hard to explain, but you served missions, too, so you understand.  I'm sorry for no big letter to everyone this week.  I haven't had time because I was trying to write the whole family letters.

Last week we had six baptisms!!  It was super awesome.  Fenter, Fency, Don, Akwil, Eswi, and Aisi all got baptized.  I love them sooo much.  Akwi is like my mom here.  She's my favorite and super funny.  She even washes all of my clothes for free!  She is so awesome and so strong in the gospel.  She even follows us around sometimes and comes teaching with us.  She is 37.  Her husband Don is the same way.  They're my favorite!  We still didn't get permission to have baptisms on our island or any small island off of it, so we had to boat everyone over to Romolum, an island in my district.  It is the smallest island in the whole world that have missionaries!!  The island is gorgeous.  Eswi is 18 and she's soooo cool.  She wants to go on a mission now super badly and last month she had never even heard of the church before.  She knows all the lessons super well and wants me to teach her more stuff so she can teach, too.  She's legit.

The area has been doing pretty well here.  I'm absolutely in love with my village.  These people are the best.  I couldn't have a better area in the whole world.  I'm so blessed to serve these people.  It's been a little hard leading the area, being senior companion, bit I've loved it.  My Chuukese has improved like crazy.  I've been very blessed.  I know lots of that has to do with your prayers, so thank you!  It's helped tons.

I have to say that being on these islands with crystal clear waters just KILLS me not being able to swim!  Maybe we can come back here together someday.

I really liked your spiritual thought, Dad, from your January 1 letter.  I like where you said to try and know Christ, and that as His servant I should be able to see the one person who is pleading in his/her heart to be reached and loved and saved and healed.  As I have been trying to do that more this last month, Heavenly Father has seriously led me to so many investigators.  I love being able to help them and bring happiness to them.  The truth of the gospel teaches us the plan of happiness from God!  As the people change their lives and become so happy, it is what makes me fall in love with my mission, as hard as it may be at times.

I love your advice.  Anything about anything would be awesome to hear from you.  I always can take your word and input about anything and I know it will end up good.  I look up to you so much.  Thank you again for everything you do for me and the examples you are to me.

I love and miss you,
Elder Saylin

No comments:

Post a Comment